Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring


All spring means to me is that things will change, and if they didn’t I’d never die- but I would want to. Life on this earth should only last for so long. For me, that length was almost at its end. I knew I was leaving the day my doctor made it a point to tell me I needed more regular check-ups. I was ready to be united with the ones that had pasted before me. I was tired of watching everyone I loved die before my eyes. I knew it would be over soon; I felt my last thread pulling tight, ready to break, sending me into the afterlife in seconds.
I was born on June 1st, 1926, the day Marilyn Monroe was born. I am almost 102 years old. The only family I have left is a great grandson somewhere in the east. We don’t keep in contact anymore since his parents passed in a tragic boating accident. The last thing he told me was that his family was all gone now, and he would have to start his own life somewhere far from here. He explained that he couldn’t be around any longer in case I decided to pass too. That was over seven years ago. I haven’t seen him since.
A cold breeze pierced through my slick jacket as I walked across the windy trails home. I needed to make it before the storm hit because I could not be caught in the biggest storm of this century. I found it funny because I could have been in two different storms, in two different centuries. The rain started to come and I swiftly made my way to the front door but couldn’t quite make it. I fell to the rocky ground, scraping my knees into the drive. That was the last thing I remember.
“You’re lucky to be alive, Mr. Polumbo, we almost lost ya there for a minute!” the red haired nurse said almost too ecstatically.
“ What? Where am I?” I mumbled in the loudest voice I could muster.
“You’re in the hospital, St. Judas Margret Hospital to be exact,” She chuckled lightly.
“But how-“
“Shhhhhh Mr. Polumbo. Don’t talk now, you need to get rest,” Her sweet voice turned more worried,  “Do you have any family we could try to reach?”
“No, I have no one left. Just tell the county to change its population by one.”
The door closed in the drafty hospital room. My view was of an old red building that looked like it could collapse at any moment, just like I did. Across the hall I could hear cheering and a soft cry from a newborn child. I sunk deep into the bed, feeling my muscles relax like mush. I closed my eyes-
Charles E. Polumbo: 06/01/1926 – 12/22/2027    

No comments:

Post a Comment